We manufacture the CHIRON cables for the reason to make sure our customers are using proper cables in conjunction with our electronic equipment. We make sure the cables’s technical properties adhere to the standards used in audio. This may sound like a logical thing, but unfortunately not all cables on the market are made with those things in mind.
CHIRON cables have been developed with utmost transparency as the main design goal. Both the analog and digital balanced interconnects with XLR connectors are unshielded for very low stray capacitance effects. They exhibit cable geometries with extremely tight tolerances for a constant impedance.
The speaker cables use RF Litz wire which suppresses the skin effect to a great degree. This results in a constant resistance across the whole audio band and beyond.
CHIRON cables use Nomex sleeves for excellent mechanical durability and beautiful looks. Connectors are gold plated and manufactured to tight tolerances.
The CHIRON-Glass1 optical cable we build to offer an optical alternative to the electrical balanced or unbalanced digital audio interconnects. The glass fiber technology must not be confused with the plastic fiber based TOSLINK interconnects. Glass fiber diameters are in the 100 micrometer range while plastic fibers are in the millimeters. Signal fidelity for glass fibers is extremely high. The CHIRON-Glass1 potentially can transmit signals in the 100 MHz frequency range over distances of 2 kilometers and more.
All in white, expect CHIRON-Glass1 which is orange.
CHIRON-Digital1 is an AES/EBU interconnect for 110 Ω balanced XLR connections. The cable is not shielded. Standard lengths are 1, 2 and 3 meters. Any length available on order.
CHIRON-Digital2 is an S/PDIF interconnect for 75 Ω single ended connections using RCA connections. This is a coaxial (shielded) cable. Standard lengths are 1, 2 and 3 meters. Any length available on order.
CHIRON-Analog1 is an interconnect for analog connections with XLR connectors. The cable is not shielded. Standard lengths are 1, 2 and 3 meters. Any length available on order.
CHIRON-Analog2 is an interconnect for analog connections with RCA connectors. The cable is shielded. Standard lengths are 1, 2 and 3 meters. Any length available on order.
CHIRON-Speaker1 is a speaker interconnect with spades on both ends. Two separate cables are used for a single channel connection. Standard lengths are 1, 2 and 3 meters. Any length available on order.
CHIRON-Glass1 is a glass fiber cable for AES/EBU or S/PDIF signals. Standard lengths are 1, 2, 3, 5 and 10 meters. Other lengths on request.
The CHIRON–Glass1 consists of the following components:
- A receiver circuitry for AES/EBU or S/PDIF signals connected via XLR, RCA or BNC connectors with an associated driver to drive the optical transmitter.
- The optical cable in 62.5/125 µm technology with ST type connectors.
- An optical receiver circuitry with an associated driver circuit to drive AES/EBU or S/PDIF signals on XLR, RCA or BNC connectors.
- Two high efficiency power supplies to power the transmitter and receiver modules separately.
- The electrical connectors can be specified for receiver/transmitter independently.
- Available are XLR, RCA or BNC connectors.
Given the choice, we recommend to use balanced interconnects. Balanced transmissions have the advantage that ground loops (hum problems) can be avoided.
For digital signals there is the choice to use an optical interconnect. The advantages of an optical compared to an electrical connection are:
- Isolation between the two connected units, i.e. no ground loops possible.
- Absolutely immune to electrical interference.
- No emission of electrical interferences.
- High signal fidelity due to active transmitter and receiver electronics.
- Very low jitter figures.
- Capable of crossing long distances with minimal losses.
For Frequently Asked Questions and discussions about this and other products our new Forum will be available soon.
Thank you for your patience.